Thursday, January 3, 2013

Cancer Sucks!

My Dad was diagnosed with stage 3 rectal cancer in August. He has under gone a round of chemotherapy and radiation to shrink the tumor enough for them to operate to remove it. The surgery went well, they said they removed all of the tumor but would send off samples of surrounding tissues. The test results confirmed that the cancer has spread into the fatty tissues ( not sure what that is) and they changed his degree of cancer to stage 3.5 with a recurrence rate of 60 percent. So yes, this sucks.

After his first round of chemo, he lost about 25 pounds, and then after surgery he lost another 12 or so. He is still somewhat weak but they will start round 2 of chemo soon.  So this could be a rough round for him as it will be stronger than the first.

I have been physically active and have had healthy eating habits for about 4 years now. I have decided that in 2013 I will focus harder on my health, my fitness, clean eating, and my  over all well being.  I refuse to give my body a place to " grow" cancer. I want to do all I can to prevent any type of disease or need for medication. I will treat my body with more love this year and watch what I put in it.and how I treat it.

I'm starting my journey with Beachbody's Ultimate Reset. It is a 21 day detox/cleanse. ( sort of like an oil change for your car) I will rid my body of built up toxins in my digestive tract which will allow my body to better absorb nutrients from my food.  I am also trying to eliminate any processed foods and sugars from my diet.

Processed foods have added chemicals to prolong self life.. YUCK !!!  My theory is .."if it has a mama or grows from the ground " it is OK to eat. I have found several blogs that support clean or whole foods with some outstanding recipes! I have gone into survival mode and have been reading all I can on health and fitness and their benefits. I sincerely believe that eating right and exercise can help ward of illness. After my 21 days, I will start my marathon training with a new outlook and a few less pounds!


Is there someone you know who is battling cancer? Has it changed your perspective on life?




Blessings
Pam

4 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your dad. Making healthy choices definitely improves your odds of living a longer, healthier life. It's definitely worth the effort to eat better and feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. My mom and grandma both fought breast cancer and lived through it (even when it didn't seem like that was possible). I'll send prayers out for your dad. I know it's a hard and helpless-feeling place to be. I agree - I think that clean whole food eating and maintaining an active lifestyle is the best thing you can do. Do what we can to control our outcome, the rest is up to God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im so sorry to hear this Pam. It seems like cancer is so rampant lately. I hate it.
    Good luck with the cleanse though. I will be following along and interested to see how it goes for you. I've never done anything like that but am interested.

    ReplyDelete